The author

The author

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Ade of Lemon

When the world gives you lemons, make a lemon drop and leave them stunted on how you did it…

Queen Bey has done it again. When she dropped Formation that was like her showing us the piece of a canvas she has painted the most beautiful painting on. The woman is genuis  and this isn’t a post to brag about Queen Bey but you must give credit when credit is due. She knew how  badly her fans wanted her new album ever since Formation dropped and she annouced that she was going on tour. I scrolled thru tweet after tweet of her fans begging for the album. Finally there was a date she was going to drop a visual album on HBO and her fans couldn’t be more excited. Finally she’s planning on showing the world the entire canvas. I say her fans because although I do enjoy her music, I’m not a die hard fan of hers. I listened to her music all my life and during tough tiimes which the words she has sang gotten me thru to the other side. I respect her hustle, the message and she is an inspiriation to look up to but that’s kind of where it ends with me.  As soon as the visual was over the album released on her husband’s streaming company Tidal. Genuis. 

Visual albums are changing the way that we look at music. I enjoy them more then hearing the music sometimes because it’s  like a little movie with songs that you like. I have  watched Lemonade a total of 4 times and of course that’s not saying much but like I said I’m not a die hard fan. I loved the narrative that was given and the steps in which she shows you what women who are cheated on go thru. Intitution, denial, anger, apathy, emptiness, accountability, reformation, forgiveness, resurrection, hope and redemption. Those are alot of emotions to go thru. And as a woman who has had her heart broken and have been cheated on I can say that’s really what you go thru. Especially if you want to make things work with that person who betrayed your trust. The visual is taking you on a journey of the pain to the recovery.  Being that Formation was shot in Lousiana I believe that this beautiful masterpiece was shot there as well. 

From the beginning to the end the music is inspring. Not just the beat but what she is actually saying. I’m not sure what it is about this woman but she inspires me. She empowers me to be better, to do better. I feel this boost of confidence that I didn’t feel prior to listening to her music or watching Lemonade. Yes it’s sad that she had to recall a time that she was cheated on and go thru the pain of that but with tracks like 6 inch heels and Freedom how can you not feel like you need to be great or create greatness??? She has given woman a plethora of witty captions for our Facebook, Instagram and SnapChat and things to write on our Twitter. But more important she has given us something to think about. 

The visuals show nothing but a cast of black girls and women of different shades, different hair textures and different backgrounds. Smart, beautiful women that are great in their own sense. There are cameos by Serena Willams, the mothers of slain teens Trayvon Martin and Micheal Brown, Winnie Harlow (who I just love), Amandla Stenberg, Zendaya and a host of others. It was so beautiful to see that these women was preparing meals then sitting together eating the meal it was just amazing to see and it’s an image that should be shown more. But with ratchet tv  and what not its not an image shown much. 

Back to the music…It’s suspected that the man she is talking about being cheated on was her husband. This sent the sleuths of the Internet going crazy looking for clues and wondering who could be the woman that S.Carter would cheat on The Queen Mother Bey first of her name. Mofos was really trying to put pieces of a puzzle as though she left breadcrumbs in her lyrics of who the chick may be. Then here comes thirst thot Rachel Roy *eye roll* with a comment refering to a lyric Bey said on her Instagram * eye roll*. Rachel Roy is the ex wife of Dame Dash (yes Jay’s homie Dame). She is the reason Solange was laying her paws on him in the elevator that year. It’s not something that happened more then once so I’m sure it can be googled. I roll my eyes continuly at Rachel cause that was a cheap attempt to get attention. It’s messy and as a woman in her 40’s she should have more class then that but hey *Kanye shrug* It wasn’t even an entire 24 hours that lemonade had dropped and the shenigans begin to start. Soon after the thotish behavior was released so was the Bey Hive stinging her with all sorts of comments and jabs. Don’t mess with The Queen Mother Bey, first of her name. 

This album has sparked so many questions not only about who Jay was cheating with but is it accpetable for men to be able to get away with cheating? Some saying that Jay is allowed to cheat because he’s Shawn Motherfucking Carter. *eye roll* Others say that she must don’t be doing something right *eye roll and deep sigh* I don’t know why Jay would want to cheat on Bey and to be honest I don’t care. Men cheat everyday, B. Some for reasons, others just because they are able to breath in air. That’s just how things are. Not to justify men’s bullshit that they are trying to sell with the content of this album. I’m just speaking from my experience, sad but it’s so true that men cheat.

If it true, that he cheated, she is showing us something so personal, something so painful and it proves the theory that Bey is just like us. She seconds guess herself, she goes thru heart breaks, and above all things she’s human. I listen to her album everyday, all day (well until Views come out) and it’s an admirable, graceful and wonderful masterpiece that others will look at when they need to get the strength to leave their no good man or when to figure out what to stay away from. Regardless your walk of life this is a piece of art that we can all relate to. The message is clear: Yes you may cheat on me, but I will leave you if need be. I will continue to stack this paper, I will always stay on my grind and if by chance I take you back you better make sure you don’t make the same mistaken twice. Oh and my favorite part is dust to side chicks. 


Stay blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment